Good Luck to All Online Teams!
Last day to edit your team page is April 1st, 2014!
Welcome to the 2014 Rube Goldberg Machine Contest. Keep up with the latest contest updates by following Rube on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
The Golden Spike: Greenfield Junior High FBLA 2013 Rube Goldberg Machine
Summary: Our goal was to recreate one of the most important nail-driving scenes in American history: the driving of the “golden spike” at Promontory Summit, Utah on May 10, 1869. This event joined the young United States by rail for the first time. We also included references to other modes of transportation along the way. Sit back and enjoy the ride!
1. Pitching machine tosses baseball into bucket
2. Bucket springs mousetrap
3. String attached to mousetrap turns on switch #1
4. Switch #1 applies power to marble elevator which raises marbles
5. Switch #1 also applies power to amplified speakers, starting the music
6. Marble rolls along maze #1 and hits rock
7. Rock falls and pulls dinosaur with it, which falls onto mousetrap #1
8. Mousetrap #1 springs, pulling on string
9. Magnet on other end of string releases cable car
10. Cable car slides down its cable and hits wheel
11. Wheel rolls down ramp and falls into bucket
12. Bucket goes down, pulling on string attached to pulley
13. String pulls out nail, which releases marble in maze #2
14. Marble rolls down maze #2 and hits mousetrap #2
15. Mousetrap #2 springs, pulling on string
16. String pulls out nail, which releases airplane
17. Airplane flies (rolls down track) and hits Panda bear
18. Panda bear falls and pulls on string
19. String pulls out gate, which releases motorized car
20. Car rolls along track and falls into bucket
21. String attached to bucket pulls space shuttle away from magnet
22. Space shuttle glides down wire, pulling a second string behind it
23. Second string pulls pirate ship along rain gutter
24. Ship runs into switch #2, which applies power to train track
25. Locomotives roll along track toward the “golden spike”
26. One locomotive springs mousetrap
27. String attached to mousetrap pulls on hammer
28. Hammer falls down and misses golden spike, but…
29. Second string attached to hammer makes roadrunner pop up
30. Hammer hits hidden switch #3, which applies power to solenoid
31. Solenoid pulls back magnet, which releases horse and rider
32. Horse is pulled along top of cabinet by weight at other end of string
33. Horse runs into gate lever and tips over
34. Other end of gate lever knocks coyote off ledge
35. String attached to coyote releases bomb from magnet
36. Bomb falls onto golden spike, driving it into the track!